Sunday, November 2, 2014

You Can Be Anything... Except That


"You can be anything you want to be... don't let anyone stop you."

Our culture talks a lot about empowerment and freedom, being able to take your life into your own hands without government restrictions and without people "judging" you. (You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means.)

According to them, I can be an astronaut. I can be an inventor. I can be male. If that's what I want. Any career should be open to me just as easily as it is for men.

Well thanks, I might appreciate it... If you weren't using a double standard!

Recently President Obama made it quite clear that there was one thing he didn't want me to be. Was it because he doesn't think I could handle it? Maybe he doesn't think it is a useful job in furthering our society. Maybe he has some kind of crazy communist scheme to take kids away from parents so the government can mold them into whatever it wants.

Anyway, I am very displeased to find out that the ONE thing I want to be in life is now being frowned upon. If Jane Doe can be praised for working hard as a physicist, I want to be praised for working hard as a Stay-at-Home Mom.

But maybe that's too much to ask.


List of things I can be:

Female
Male
Straight
Gay
Feminist
Leader
Dominant wife

List of things I can't be:

Feminine
Submissive wife

List of careers I can have:

Teacher
Doctor
Scientist
Olympian
Pastor
Actor
Humanitarian
Lawyer
President (boo yah)

List of careers I can't have:

Homeschool Teacher
Stay-at-Home Mom

As an American, I want the same right as my fellow countrymen: the right to be whoever I want without government restrictions and people "judging me." Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment