Andrew, my wonderful husband, walked around the back of the car to open my door. I took a minute to look myself over in the mirror.I don't know what made me do it. I guess I had just then realized I was going to see people. We were going to a meeting at church.
My face was plain, with no makeup, and my hair was slightly disheveled. "Aah! I look terrible."
"No, you look lovely," he replied.
When I entered the church, I greeted my sister, whom I'm always glad to see. I miss sharing life with her... and sharing a bathroom with her! :D
She said something like, "Uh... you don't look too great. Are you feeling ok?"
I said I felt great, and happy. Maybe a little tired.
She said, "Oh, I was thinking maybe married life was tiring, because you seem drained. You don't even have time to put makeup on."
I admit, I do get tired more often, but that's only because of late nights watching movies and stuff. That's why I'm tired on long days like when I go to GP to grocery shop and visit my family. But it's not like I don't have time to put on makeup! I didn't know why I forgot to put on makeup some days.
We talked a little more, and she expressed that she was worried that married life made you run-down. Her fairytale image of being a newlywed wife was being a little askewed.
Now I admit that running a house when you have young children is probably very tiring, but right now I feel happy to be alive, happy to be married, happy to wake up to my Love every morning and kiss him goodnight every night. I feel like marrying Andrew was the best decision I've ever made.
I assured her I was feeling good, and married life made me happy. I resolved to try to look and act happier, even when I feel worn out. Married life for me is a joy and a privilege, and I want to display it. :)
When I got home I felt like emailing my sister again, to make it clearer. Here's what I said.
It's not that all the mundane, tiring "wife tasks" are eating up my time, that I don't have time for fun or looking pretty. It's the opposite.My life is so wonderful and beautiful and fun, that I forget about mundane things like makeup until I'm leaving the house!Married life is great (the tiredness just comes from late nights, movies, etc, which we will ease out of I'm sure. ;)).Andrew treats me like I'm the most beautiful and wonderful thing on Earth, so I feel like I don't need makeup at all (I basically forget it exists!). Marriage is really good for self-esteem I guess. :p
Well, there you have it. Makeup is over-rated. ♥

I love it!!! <3
ReplyDeleteHehe... no, my "newlywed wife" concept actually isn't anything like a fairy tale... just have to make that clear. I pride myself in my realism. :D
Of course. ;) But I meant your view of being a new wife was being a little disappointed.
DeleteI love your take on this Tianna. Recently I had two older sisters get married and I did kind of wonder if they kind of tossed everything aside once they "snagged" a man (hehe I know that's not what they did) and became all frumpy and housewife-ish (also they got pregnant really quick so of course maternity clothes kind of make you look... you know). Nothing wrong with that, but I did want to see them still taking care of themselves and being beautiful for their men. However, what you said about Andrew loving you the way you are is probably the way it exactly is between a husband and wife. I guess I'll never know until my turn to have a husband. So I shall just shut up and watch you lovely ladies enjoy your newly-wed status. The look of love in your eyes definitely makes up for all the lack of make-up! (you look great without makeup anyway!)
ReplyDelete~Vi
Aww thank you! Of course, I do try to look nice, but when I don't, it's truly because I forget! And he smiles at me just the same! It's definitely a very wonderful thing. :)
DeleteNice to find you again, Tianna! Wow, your life has changed since we last talked! Well, CONGRATULATIONS, and keep being your beautiful self! :-)
ReplyDelete~Jessica
Yay! How are you?? I feel so bad for not responding to your email way back when. I've been so busy and haven't been emailing much. I'm sorry! Yes, I graduated, produced a film (hopefully coming out this year), and got married!! (More about those on the blogs in the sidebar. :)) Life is still challenging, but wonderful. And God is good. :)
Delete