Deuteronomy 24:5: “When a man is newly married, he shall not go out with the army or be liable for any other public duty. He shall be free at home one year to be happy with his wife whom he has taken."
A little over 11 months ago, my fiancé (at the time) lost his job. Three days later, he lost his brother. This last year had been the hardest for both of us, but it's also been a year of great joy.
For a while after Josh's death, we were paralyzed. We decided to carry on with the wedding plans, and that kept me busy. But Andrew didn't have a job to keep him busy. Life never really went back to normal.
Over the summer, fall, and winter, he looked for a job. Many people helped by giving suggestions, advice, offering to be a reference. We have many good friends who encouraged us, including the company he was previously working for.
But no job came. When you're working hard on something that you know is right, something that you know is God's will, it's hard to not get discouraged when nothing works out. When all the hard work you've put into something doesn't provide any lasting fruit, it's hard to not feel like a failure.
There were good times and bad times. The wedding was a good time. (Very good!) Almost running out of his savings after living on them for months was a bad time. But we never completely ran out.
Whenever we'd get close (and stressed!) God would give us a little more to get by. I'd find money in the closet, we'd get money in the mail, or money from our tax return.
We came to see being poor as a blessing, a challenge. First, it taught us how little we could live on. It taught us never to take a job for granted. It taught us to rely fully on God. It challenged us to live on a smaller budget, to learn to live without "necessities," to never doubt but always pray. And to laugh when everything is going wrong. It taught me how I didn't need any material thing for Valentine's Day except my husband. These are things we never would have learned if we weren't put in this situation.
We also enjoyed getting to spend lots of time together (a year, to be precise - See Deut 24:5.) because he was home most of the time with me! We got to know each other better and build a firm foundation for our marriage. And going through struggles taught us a lot about ourselves and each other.
So, thanks, God. You knew what we needed to learn and where we needed to be. And you have deemed it the right time for Andrew to start working again, and I praise you!
After three months of wedding preparation, during which Andrew truly kept me sane, and eight months of tough, but blissful, marriage, finally a cover letter, resumé, and interview led to employment! Thanks, Bugs Northwest, for hiring my husband yesterday. :)
And thank you, everyone who gave suggestions, advice, and encouragement. It's great to have friends that care so much. And thank you, family, for all you've done: supporting us and feeding us and being Andrew's biggest cheerleaders. Thank you, most of all, for praying. Our mothers are certainly at the top of the list in that category. We love you!
My last thank you and praise goes to my husband Andrew. Darling, you have been through so much this year, and you have borne it well. I am amazed at your courage, your wisdom, your determination to not give up. You had a vision, to get a job to provide for your family, and you succeeded. But all those long months, you also succeeded. You kept looking despite getting turned down. You kept learning, even when you were exhausted. You kept living and loving and growing, amidst much sorrow. Now I know you will thrive and be the best employee you can be, because you have learned so much and come so far. Thank you for being someone it is a joy to respect and support. I love you immensely, and I am still so honored that God would choose me to be yours. Congratulations, Dear One.
I know this is definitely not the end of our struggles. We're only eight months into our marriage! Andrew could very well lose his job again, or change jobs, or start his own business! I don't know what God has for him in the future. But I know His plan is good. And whatever happens, we will learn a lot. :)

Tianna: this is so beautiful I have tears in my eyes right now. Your growth and maturity never cease to amaze me. The way you praise Andrew through all he's been through, the way you are such a support to him, the way you see the hard times as a vital growth process.... the whole thing just makes me SO PROUD of you - and of Andrew. I love you two so much and I'm so honored to be your sister. :')
ReplyDeleteAwww, I love you, sister. :) I'm so glad to be where I am in life, and I'm honored if you can learn from me! You are always such a support and encouragement to me. Thank you!!
DeleteBless you and your precious heart, Tianna. You are a refreshing voice in a world so full of complaints and dissatisfaction. We all rejoice with you and your beloved in God's provision of a job. It gives hope to the many who are still waiting and trusting.
ReplyDelete