I've been reading a lot about worry lately. I don't know why. Maybe because I'm in a really busy time of life, and that tends to make me super stressed. Maybe because there's dozens of fires in my hometown area. Or maybe because I know that life is fragile, and at any minute one of us could step off the earth into eternity.
Anyway, the biggest thing that has stuck with me is this. (I'll try to keep it brief. ;))
Worry is the opposite of Trust. We are told to trust God because he has everything in control. He is all-knowing and sovereign over the affairs of men. And yet... We are fond of worrying. And this isn't even a 21st century problem!
Jesus used the example of a sparrow to warn his disciples against worry. God feeds these little birds that seem worthless to us; how much more will he feed his children, made in his image and destined for eternity?
"Do not worry about everyday life- about food or drink or clothes. Isn't your life more than food, and your body more than clothing?" - Matt 6:25
I always thought of this as saying, "Your life and your body matter more than food and drink! Be content!" But a devotional on my phone's Bible app had this quote from John Piper: "Since your body and your life are vastly more complex and difficult to provide than food and clothing are, and yet God has created and provided you with both, then surely he will be able and willing to provide you with food and clothing."
Wow! This glorifies God and his power and his love toward us. We needn't ever worry about his ability to take care of us- especially the little things, which are the things we seem to worry about the most!
I am conviced that God is able to do what I ask him to, but sometimes (or a lot of times) my plans are not His plans. What do I do now? Trust! John Piper says, "Fight anxieties by fighting against unbelief and for future grace." I know God will work all things out in the long run. So even if I don't get what he's doing now, I can trust he's doing what's ultimately best. I may understand later on down the road, or I may just hear about it in Heaven. But it doesn't matter if I know what is going on. What matters is He knows what's going on.
Why do we Worry? It does nothing for us. I read an article today titled, "When Your Spirit Hungers: How to be done with Worry." How she explains "worry-praying" is great. The truth is, "Worry is like a rocking chair—it consumes a lot of energy and takes us nowhere." There's no point in it. We weren't made to Worry; we were made to Trust! And God is perfect for trusting in!
Think of it this way: Worry is really just a smaller way to say we don't know if God will come through. It's our inability to trust Him to do what he says he will do, which is to make all work out together for the good of those who love him. (Paraphrased from another devotional about Worry on the app.)
Think about how dumb that is. God is the Trustworthy, the Almighty! Hallelujah! And we weak little creatures are doubting that he will come through. "Oh, what if God doesn't do the right thing?" (Even though he has never messed up in his whole life - which is forever.) How ridiculous we are.
One last point, which is one I read today in the article that made me start writing this post.
Worry... Is infidelity. My husband is a very loyal person. It's one of the character traits I admire most about him. He has a hard time choosing to leave situations or relationships because he feels devoted to them. This (and his desire to follow God's law) is the main reason why I KNOW he will never leave me. What he has vowed, he will do. Wouldn't it be useless to sit and worry about him messing up? After all there are a lot of temptations in the world... But then I'd remember his character and how leaving me is the last thing he would ever do! Worrying about that would be disrespectful. To doubt his faithfulness would be to not trust that he loves me and wants what's best for me. On my wedding day I vowed to respect him, trust him, and love him. Worrying is none of the above.
When I gave my life to God, I vowed to honor him, obey him, and love him. Worry is none of the above. Worry is dishonor, distrust, and fear.
When we worry, we are not remaining faithful to He who is Faithful and True, because we think he won't come through. We are "trusting" in other things to see us through - ourselves, our plans, or our worry. We are "cheating on God," because we think Worrying is a better use of our time than Trusting.
Worry is the opposite of Trust.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."
- Proverbs 3:5-6.
I am smiling and letting out a big sigh right now. It's so encouraging to write this, to gather up all the things I've learned about worry. It sure helps me to soak up these truths, and I hope it helps you too. :)
Such a blessing, thank you. I've been struggling with Trusting lately....
ReplyDelete♥
This really grabbed me as I tend to worry. I'm better than I used to be, and don't linger there as long, but still, it is exactly as you said so well. Trying to be in control, especially of the uncontrollable events that constantly arise is rooted in pride, fear, and lack of trust.
ReplyDeleteAll these were part of the deceivers temptation to Eve. "Did God really say that?" (doubt), "God is withholding something valuable from you" (lack of trust), "You shall be like God" (pride). He still whispers the same lies today. I want none of these in my life.
Thank you for your well written reminder, and putting this in the divine perspective instead of my little pea-brained one.