A few days ago I was in Dollar Tree trying to find a certain greeting card, and I happened to see the label "Mother To-Be." I took out the card. It was pink with the outline of a pregnant lady on the front. It said "You're going to be a Mommy..." On the inside it read, "Dreams really do come true."
Wow. That got me thinking how long I've wanted to be a mommy, and how now I finally get my wishes & prayers answered!
Ever since I was little I have loved dolls and babies. When I was three or four, my preschool had a "career day." I wore a mother-like dress with a pillow underneath as a baby belly. Not kidding. I knew I wanted to be a Mother when I grew up.
Maybe I had watched my mom and decided her "job" was necessary and rewarding and fun! Maybe I just loved her so much and wanted to be like her. Maybe I was just listening to my instincts as a female and knowing that's what I was created to do. Maybe all three. :)
Growing up confirmed my want of being a mother. I would play the mother in games, dress-up, and sometimes in real life. (I bossed my little sister around quite a bit.) All of my friends told me I was going to be a good mother. I wasn't sure, but I sure hoped so.
As I grew older, I read books like "Raising Maidens of Virtue" and "Preparing to Be a Helpmeet," and my longing to someday be a wife and mother only grew. It was my dream to marry a godly man, take care of his house, live out in the country, and grow lots of godly children! I always knew that was my goal in life.
The more I learned about this rewarding job, the more I could feel it was the right thing to aim for. I never felt "brainwashed" into thinking it, though some people probably thought I had been. From time to time people have asked me what job I wanted to have, or what I wanted to study in college... I would simply say, "Someday I want to be a wife and mother, and colleges don't teach you those skills. So I've just been learning from home." (As a side note: My mother was such a good teacher. She taught me so many domestic skills and even complied a reading list on wife/mother/homemaker info and articles for me (and my sis) to read. I couldn't have done it without her! ♥)
Then came the day when I married my best friend. I was so in love, and I couldn't wait to start living and growing as a couple. Since then we've had struggles and hardships, but also joys and good times. I have been so blessed in my marriage, and I thank God for giving me my husband. I often wondered if and when God would give us a baby.
Then suddenly, about a year after we got married, we changed from a couple to a trio! We were so happy and thankful to have a new little person join our family. We don't feel ready, but we know that she is a gift straight from God, and we will raise her to the best of our abilities.
The pregnancy has gone so well, and we have been so blessed with gifts and offers of help and two fun baby showers! We've been taking a "Bradley Method" natural childbirth class, which has been so helpful in taking away the "fear of the unknown" and helping me learn to strengthen my body for the big day. :) I have a great midwife/doctor, who also believes birth is a natural and beautiful thing, and she's helping me feel relaxed and confident about it. Then there are numerous other moms and friends who have been so encouraging and helpful. I certainly feel loved.
One of our latest projects has been deciding what things to buy off our registries with our "baby money." I've made a chart with each item and the prices from different websites, so we can compare and make sure we stay on budget. :) It will be SO fun to receive all these things in the mail when we order them! I've also ordered the Home Birth Kit and Newborn Screening Kit, which were required. It's getting so close!!
Ok, enough of the update, back to the point.
I've been so busy- happy but busy- and slowly getting used to the idea that I have a daughter! Andrew and I are truly so excited! It's just such a big thing to wrap our heads around. So moments like that one at Dollar Tree are really special.
"You're going to be a Mommy... Dreams really do come true."
Yes, they do. My wishing, hoping, dreaming, and prayers growing up have finally been answered...
I AM A MOMMY!
And tomorrow is my first Mother's Day.
~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~ ♥ ~
Images:
http://dream-like-yesterday.tumblr.com/ask
http://www.iwantcovers.com/tag/you-make-my-dreams-come-true/


No comments:
Post a Comment