Friday, February 14, 2014

My Valentine's Gift from God

I wrote this post one year ago after a wonderful first Valentine's Day as a married couple. We had nothing, but it was joyous. It was full of lots of love! This year we feel so blessed to be attending our church's marriage retreat, but besides that and a Valentine's card from Dollar Tree, we have nothing. Just each other. I am remembering fondly the lesson I learned last year, and now I'm sharing it with you. :) Happy Valentine's Day! ♥

2.14.13

"Better is a little with the fear of the Lord than great treasure and turmoil with it." -Prov 15:16

What a blessing to see this verse today! I had such a wonderful day, without getting flowers or going out to dinner. I am so in awe of the gift God has given me in my husband.

God has opened my eyes today more than any other day of my marriage I think. I wanted today to be special, to be remembered. Last year my First Valentine's Day looked like this:



It was a simply wonderful day. But today was just as wonderful, even though it was very different. The circumstances have changed, but our relationship and our love has remained. And for that I am so grateful.

Let me tell you about my Valentine's Day. Last night (or rather, this morning because it was late), my husband and I stayed up talking. He started the conversation by asking me something that really made me think, and it brought up something in my life that I needed to address. He worded it so well that I was just in awe. I don't think I've ever respected my husband more. How he moved the conversation, probing gently, sharing stuff himself, and just caring about me, my relationships, and our relationship, was so wonderful. It was very productive, but also restful. I just enjoyed it so much, and I thanked God over and over for such a wise and wonderful husband.

This morning we went up to the Eddys' for breakfast. My mom always decorates the breakfast table with hearts, doilies, special plates, and balloons, so it was just like being at home to see the Eddys' table all decorated by my new mom. :)


We spent some time up there before we decided to take a walk. It was such a nice day, and I had been wanting to walk around the park near our house. It was very lovely and romantic. We held hands and talked and walked across a bridge and swung on the swings and smiled many smiles that I will hopefully never forget.

  

That evening I made homemade chicken fettuccine alfredo, and it turned out really good! Our dinner was not "professional," but it was seasoned and eaten with love. ♥

"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a fattened ox and hatred with it." (Prov. 15:17)

"Better is a dry morsel with quiet than a house full of feasting with strife." (Prov. 17:1)


"Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues with injustice." (Prov. 16:8)

These verses came to mind and reminded me what a treasure I have in love itself! And I don't need material items like flowers or chocolates to prove it. (So there, holiday marketers!)

The clincher for me was the movie we watched. We were borrowing The Notebook from someone and thought today would be the perfect day to watch it, which it was. :) Even though we had to fast-forward two scenes, I thought the story was good for a chick flick, and the ending was wonderful. I suppose that after watching it most people come away yearning for a love like that. A never-ending, true love that will stand the test of time. But as I broke out of the story at the end I realized, I have that. I have a lover that has vowed to never leave me, and I know he never will.


At the end of the movie (which was emotional anyway), I looked over at Andrew and cried for joy. It's not just in movies. It can be real if God plans your love story. I thanked God again and again.

I realized, in a way, Andrew was God's Valentine's gift to me. I didn't need flowers or a date out, I just need my Love to have a truly romantic day. :) God is teaching me so many lessons through this time of hardship that I would not have learned any other way. :)

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment