Monday, February 11, 2013

The Start of Something New

This year I'm trying something new. Choreography.

Well, it's not fully new. I was the Assistant Choreographer last year, when my sister played the lead role of Cinderella. And then there was the time when I choreographed a dance for her gymnastics class... Haha.

But this is my first time ever being really IN CHARGE.

Scary, huh?



This spring, One Eleven Theatre Co. is producing "High School Musical," and I was asked to be the Choreographer. Whoa.

I thought it would be fun. I had a good time last year. But could I really do a show all by myself? I knew I could read music, and organize and teach people, but could I create dances from scratch?

I decided to do it, since I already knew the directing team, and I thought doing a musical based on a movie I knew would at least give me a head-start on the dances. Plus, if I ever wanted to do Choreography in the future, this would be a good place to start.

I was nervous before the first rehearsal. I prayed that it would go smoothly and I'd do a good job.

Besides a few hiccups and awkward moments, I thought it went well. We worked on the opening sequence, "Start of Something New," where all of the characters are introduced. We got a good amount done, and I think everyone had fun. I have to remind myself that whenever I've been in a show, I always have fun, even if I'm not doing much. So all those people staring at me are probably having fun, even if they don't look like it.

The next day we worked on the basketball song, "Get'cha Head in the Game." I am so glad that three of the five guys in that scene (yes, we only have five...) know how to play basketball already. As a result, it turned out pretty cool. My only problem was I didn't know what a lot of the moves were called...

Then I started "Stick to the Status Quo," which is one of my favorite songs in the movie. It's pretty crazy & complicated, but the kids were getting it. It was a lot of work, and I was tired by the end!

The next week we started losing people. I think in all we have lost about five people and added about three. One of the people we added was my friend Emma as Sharpay! When I showed up at the read-through and the directors informed me we had lost our Sharpay, I immediately thought of Emma. They were open to hearing her read and sing, so she came to the read-through and sang for Jamie, and got the part!

I was SO excited. Now two of my friends were in it. Stephanie had been cast as Gabriella from almost the moment she walked into auditions. She is so great for the part and really enjoying it. Also, my husband Andrew is playing Zeke. He is also very good at his part (a much better actor than I), and loves it! :)

The next week I got to work with the lead couples for the first time. Now that was fun. I got there late and felt so bad. It had been an emotional day too. But Andrew gave me a pep-talk in the car, and I got in there and worked. They soon cheered me up because they are really fun to work with. I'm blessed with lead actors who enjoy what they're doing, are eager to learn, and are professional, but fun!

First I worked with Ryan and Sharpay on their first song, which turned out bouncy, happy, and hilarious. Both are amazing comedic actors. Then I worked with Gabriella and Troy on their final song, which is pretty epic. They are so natural in their acting and can pull off the sweet relationship very well. I found I enjoyed working with the couples (or smaller groups of people) better than the big groups. Even though the bigger ones may turn out more impressive, I guess it's just easier to work with less people. And more personal. :)

After another week of adding on to those songs, I added a new piece today. I felt very good on the way home because I realized my skills have grown, even in just three weeks. This afternoon I had sat down and listened to the Auditions song and written out all of the choreography in about an hour and a half. Then I surprised myself even more by teaching the entire piece (to my awesome students) in an hour and a half! That was a record for me. I was very pleased with how it turned out. The dancers caught my vision for the song, and they had lots of fun with it.

Also I've noticed that little by little I've been able to come up with things on the spot. At first I thought I'd only be able to think up dances at home with a notepad and the soundtrack. It's like my dance supply bank is growing, and I can pull stuff out more often. I guess it's one of those things you learn by doing.

I'm hoping to be able to run the whole Act 1 by the end of two more weeks, before we leave on vacation. (We're going to SoCal for a reunion!) It looks pretty possible. I thank God for giving me the inspiration, talent, time, and energy to be able to do this. It's pretty fun, and I am getting paid too!

Maybe choreography will become something I do more often. That's strange to think about, because I don't think of myself as a choreographer yet. I was offered two other gigs, and I accepted one of them. I'm doing "Happy Days" for RMT this Summer. It's a 50's musical, and it should be lots of fun as well.

Well, so long! I'll try to update you when it's closer to show time.

Living in my own worldDidn't understandThat anything can happenWhen you take a chance
I never believed inWhat I couldn't seeI never opened my heartTo all the possibilities
I know that something has changedNever felt this wayAnd right here tonight
This could be the startOf something newIt feels so rightTo be here with you
And now looking in your eyesI feel in my heartThe start of something new

1 comment:

  1. Awwwe! I still wish I could've done it! :( that's exciting to hear Emma gets to be a part of it! She'll be great! :) Anyways, I'm glad to hear its going so well. Am I jealous?..... Yes, of course, but I cànt wait to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete