Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Here Comes Christmas!


"Christmas is coming; goose is getting fat.
Please put a penny in the old man's hat.
If you haven't got a penny, then a hey-penny will do.
If you haven't got a hey-penny, then God bless you!"


We learned this song as a round in choir and sang it before a Christmas concert we performed at. The choir was directed by a dad from our church, and my family participated too, so we got to see them every week. Andrew and I really enjoyed it. The concert was very Christmassy, and they unveiled the new downtown Christmas mural, which was exciting.

Christmas is coming.



Us as Maid and Butler
Another Christmas show we were in was the Nutcracker Ballet. I have danced in numerous Nutcrackers in my time (nine to be exact), and it was always one of my favorite things about Christmas. I loved getting new roles, making new friends, rehearsing and performing, dancing my heart out, the whole experience. This year when auditions came around, we talked about it, but decided not to do it. Plus Andrew was working that day. Then we were actually offered parts in the show by the director, and we accepted! It was so fun to be in it, even as an alumni. It was awesome acting opposite my husband as maid and butler. And it was wonderful to get to introduce him to the magic that is Nutcracker. :)


Christmas is coming!

I'm one to start playing Christmas music right after Thanksgiving (or even before), and I couldn't wait to get a tree and decorations up! We ended up going with the Eddys and getting our trees at a place downtown that supports a Christian organization. After looking around for a while, we got a lovely tall and full one. :)


Our first tree!!
It was raining, but we were content to sit in the van while waiting for our $1 Dutch Bros drinks. It was Valor's first DB! We also got donuts for later. The guys unloaded the trees at home, and we hung out for a while, listened to Christmas music and ate our donuts.


A couple days later we had gotten all of Andrew's and my ornaments from our old homes, and we trimmed the tree! For lights I used this Pinterest trick, zigzaging them up and down, instead of around and around. It turned out fabulous. We almost didn't want to put ornaments on! Combined, we have a ton of ornaments that we've gathered over the years, and I had a few other decorations, like a creche, candles, nutcrackers, etc. Our house looks quite festive now!


Christmas is coming.

Our Creche

Nutcrackers looking after the tree. (And if we have a mice battle in our living room, we'll be well protected.)
Tonight we get to have our first Christmas celebration because Grandma Paula is here! It's my first time celebrating elsewhere besides with my family. But Andrew is my new family, and I'm sure this Christmas will be special in every way. It already has been very special. We've already gotten to do some things that mean Christmas to me, and we'll also get to create some traditions of our own together. What a wonderful opportunity!

Christmas is coming!

What else has been going on this December? Making Christmas gifts, seeing out-of-town friends, listening to Christmas Songza playlists, eating Chrismas treats, singing at a Christmas party with my family... Oh! And it's been snowing!!! I knew I would love living out here during the winter. :) I hope we have a White Christmas!


What things mean Christmas to you? For me it's Christmas music, Nutcracker, decorating, and family traditions. <3

Here comes Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment